Home > About draliman > Sharing My World 25-05-2020

Sharing My World 25-05-2020

Here is my post for Melanie’s Share Your World.

In your opinion, does patriotism require the belief that one’s country is the greatest on earth?
No. And people who blindly believe that scare me. There are lots of ways you can define “greatest on Earth” anyway. I believe the UK is one of the best places to live overall, but not the best. Basing it on economic and military, it’s probably China but I wouldn’t want to live there.

Why is patriotism considered by some to be the highest of virtues? What is so important about love of country? Shouldn’t we be more concerned about humankind, or the planet as a whole, rather than a single country?
It’s good to love your country. I don’t know who considers patriotism to be the absolute highest of virtues. Sounds like blind faith, no questioning.

What is the relationship between decisions and consequences?
Absolute. You make a decision, it has a consequence. Any decision, big or small. Decision – get out of bed. Consequence – day has begun.

What is social justice?
That’s when someone in the village does something wrong and a mob shows up and dangles them from the nearest tree.

Oh, wait, I just Googled it. It’s not that at all.

What’s one body part you wouldn’t mind losing?
My head. No, I need that. My little toe.

1. May 31, 2020 at 5:50 am

As far as the best country is concerned, it’s Canada. Especially the prairies — in spring and fall. Given our winters, we may be a smidge off the best, but very close.
    And yes, it’s good to love your country. We can’t fix all that’s broken all over the world, so we need to stand up for our own country and work for that, IMO.
    Perhaps you could lose your appendix or gall bladder? Most everyone else has and still functions. 😉

• May 31, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Dan, I didn’t think of my appendix. I definitely don’t need that and it wouldn’t knock off my balance like a little toe would 🙂

2. May 31, 2020 at 11:28 am

Concerning “social justice”, have you been watching old westerns or cop movies with stars like Clint Eastwood on TV lately? …you gotta ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya punk?. 😀 — Suzanne

3. May 31, 2020 at 1:44 pm

Independence Day has almost become as big as Christmas here in Amurrica, with its own aisle at Mecca and everything. Our patriotism isn’t just overbearing, it’s also now commercialized!

• May 31, 2020 at 4:09 pm

All that fuss over a film, enjoyable though it was…

• May 31, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Yes. I hear this year they plan on celebrating by blowing up the White House. Should be fun!

4. May 31, 2020 at 2:21 pm

I agree on every point. Oh, wait… Seriously though, blind faith is the cause of many problems.
    Which little toe? The right or the left one? 🙂

• May 31, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Blind faith has contributed to the deaths of who knows how many.
      Maybe both little toes, keep things symmetrical 🙂

5. May 31, 2020 at 2:29 pm

I’m on my way over to join your social justice party. I’ll bring the rope.

• May 31, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Excellent! Leave it until tomorrow though so we can meet in my garden and stay with lockdown rules. We wouldn’t want to break the law while lynching people.

• May 31, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Good thinking. I’ll need to test my eyes on the way though!

• May 31, 2020 at 4:26 pm

DVLA-approved! Well, Boris said it was okay…

6. May 31, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Thank goodness for social justice, because though I found your answers thoughtful and agreed with them I was starting to think you had become serious..so thanks social justice.

7. May 31, 2020 at 3:52 pm

MOL…on the last question 😸Pawkisses for a Happy Pentecost Sunday🐾😽💞

8. May 31, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Thanks Alistair for Sharing Your World! Very thoughtful answers. I’d be leery of losing any toes though. I believe (and yeah I admit I can be mistaken and often am) that the great toe (big toe) and the little toe are required for good balance. So go with the tonsils or appendix (if you’ve still got ’em). Those can be lost and never missed. I have to wonder what purpose they served ?

• June 2, 2020 at 4:51 am

You do need your little toes for balance, I had completely forgotten about the appendix (which I still have)! Tonsils are part of the immune system so I’d rather keep them 🙂

9. June 3, 2020 at 12:32 am

Liked your hilarious yet true answers. I wouldn’t mind loosing my little finger, especially on my left hand, because it is the least useful finger of all. But then I’d better keep it for the sake of the looks of my hand.

• June 3, 2020 at 5:03 am

I don’t actually use it much either, not even for typing. Though I bet I’d miss it if it weren’t there 🙂

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )