Home > About draliman > Sharing My World 20-12-2021

Sharing My World 20-12-2021

Here is my post for Melanie’s Share Your World.

What is your least favourite holiday side dish? (for any holiday)
I’m not sure what the definition of “side dish” is here. In a restaurant, it really is a dish on the side, but at home nobody I have ever known has had a separate dish. We British tend to bung everything on the plate at once, chuck on a load of gravy and then tuck in.

What is the ugliest or most tasteless decoration you’ve ever seen?
I’m sure I’ve have seen a few, but they have been apparently wiped from my memory in disgust.

What is a cherished or unusual (either or both) family tradition from your childhood?
Me and my brother always woke up early on Christmas morning, went through our Christmas stockings and then woke Mum and Dad up to show them what Santa had brought us πŸ™‚

You’re walking down the street, feeling great β€” what holiday song would be playing in the background?
I took this photo while walking to the next village over a couple of days ago. So maybe “Mud, Glorious Mud”. Though it’s not technically a holiday song, it seems most apt for this Christmas, where we’re seeing a lot of drizzle and temperatures as high as 12 degrees, so very warm!

1. December 26, 2021 at 10:28 am

Such a sweet memory. Merry Christmas Season to you.

2. December 26, 2021 at 1:19 pm

You must be thinking of running for a ‘polictical office’ later in life… Avoiding the question of a ‘hated side dish’ and discussing the ‘definition’ of a ‘side dish’… hahaha.

• December 28, 2021 at 7:33 am

They are experts at avoiding questions, they must take lessons.

3. December 26, 2021 at 3:26 pm

I like those self-cleaning memory banks, don’t you? Have a wonderful New Year and do keep singing down those wonderful Cornwall lanes! πŸ™‚πŸŽ„

• December 28, 2021 at 7:34 am

A happy New Year to you too πŸ™‚

4. December 26, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Mud, Glorious Mud- a very catchy tune! πŸ™‚

5. December 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Even with the conversion, 12 degrees would be chilly. Our Christmas (especially Xmas Eve) was even warmer. Santa was wearing a tank top…

• December 28, 2021 at 7:36 am

Another weird weather year. It’s supposed to be 6-8 degrees at this time of year. Whatever that is in Fahrenheit. 100? -20? I just don’t know…

6. December 26, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Alistair for a glorious Share Your World! I suspect many (if not everybody) just bungs the food on their plate and chows down. “Side dish” is a rather old-fashioned term now-a-days I’m sure meaning anything that isn’t the main dish of whatever that is…the meat entree or vegan based entree that is theoretically the main dish. I, myself, had an odd Christmas dinner, “hamburger birds”, funeral potatoes and squash. I think the birds were the main course (it’s hamburger stuffed with stuffing and baked). I’d never heard of that and the cook got distracted by Christmas stuff and the birds were very very well done. The potatoes are a substantial dish by themselves too though. My standard is baked ham and funeral potatoes and green salad. I guess it’s good to try new things.? Lovely tradition in your family. That’s very sweet! There was a lot of mud here too, it rained and melted all our lovely snow. πŸ˜₯ Anyway I hope your day was full of good things all the way! Have a splendid week!

• December 28, 2021 at 7:38 am

I had to Google “funeral potatoes”. Seems a very dark name for a tasty-sounding dish!